Wednesday 17 September 2014

Lost Soul Ultra... Take 2!

Running in the coulees of LSU
Slow and steady wins the race or in my case slow and steady finishes the race injury free! This was my second time running Lost Soul Ultra and I was well prepared due to my many rookie mistakes last time. This time around the race plan was to run conservatively and do some time management.

In 2012, I went out fairly hard the first 3 legs and ended up paying for it in leg 4. I then had to drag my aching carcass around leg 5 and 6. I was determined not to make the same mistake this year. My training was similar to 2012, maybe even more kilometers run (but less hill work?) and I was on top of my race nutrition. Carla (my wife and aide station crew captain) and I had done a bit of research in regards to what my body was going to need for roughly 10 hours of running and we were prepared.

Leg 1 (~ 7km) went well, racers were sent off with the sound of bag pipes and for most of this leg we were stuck in a long train of slowly moving runners. This was just fine for me, as I got to run with Dave Buchner (Saskatoon trail running guru) for at least part of the race! By the end of leg one I was nicely set up as race caboose and eating up kilometers at a slow and steady pace.

Leg 1 to leg 2 transition was done quickly, swipe in and swipe out and heading northbound to softball valley (~ 8.4km). This would be the last I would see Dave until the finish (He finished in just over 8 hours, an incredible feat!). No real surprises on this leg, some of the first big hills show up here, but still no real struggles or challenges, just putting one foot in front of the other.

Leg 2 to leg 3 transition was a little slower than the first transition. I stopped long enough to eat some real food, couple pieces of jerky, bacon and some chicken noodle soup all served to me by my fantastic crew. This year my wife and two eldest children were going to be my support and they did a fantastic job! Some high fives and positive words from my kids and off I went to tackle Gun Range hill and leg 3 (9.6km).
Best support crew ever!

Leg 3 starts with one bugger of a climb, Gun Range hill. As you ascend, the drop off on the right grows and grows and adds to the physical and mental struggle of climbing! Thank God for the fence on the left, it kept me from going for a tumble or two! This leg went well and my running time was just a little slower than 2012. Bailey and Aidan (my eldest two children) met me about a kilometer out from the transition area and I rolled into the transition area feeling good and positive.

I have to admit, leg 4 was what I was fearing the most. In 2012, this was my downfall, I was ill prepared, didn't fill my backpack with enough food and suffered because of it. This year, I wasn't going to make the same mistakes. I did offer up a few lame comments about quitting here, but my crew pretended they didn't hear me and continued to load my backpack and provide me with drinks and snacks. Recharged, I headed out to conquer leg 4 (16.5km). I left this transition area with a young lady and her husband. The woman had run LSU last year 6 months pregnant (because it isn't difficult enough already!) and was out to complete it this time with her husband.  It was nice to share some thoughts and space with people while we climbed the first hill into leg 4. For the rest of this leg, I would be chasing their shadows around the coulees. This leg has lots of hills and climbs to start, then a few kilometers on gravel road and back into the coulees for a few more steep climbs, then flat sandy trail for roughly 7 km back into aide station. I knew if I could get through the first half of this leg, that I would be able to put it in cruise control for the last half. Slow and steady on the climbs, an easy pace on the flats and I was able to get to the last half of this leg with little distress and absolutely no cramping or real fatigue. I was feeling real good about myself and my race plan! I came up on the water station (roughly 3ish km from Pavan) and caught up to another 50km soloist, Brad Tomlinson. He hadn't brought enough water and had also hurt his hamstring. His struggle reminded me of mine in 2012, so I offered him snacks and water and we trekked the last few kilometers together into the aide station. My kids came to greet me again and offered me a McDonald's cheeseburger and Coke. What a great support team!  I was pumped to finish the last two legs.
Brad and I entering softball valley

Brad ate and hydrated and appeared to be in much better spirits, so we decided to finish the last two legs together. Amazing what friendships can be forged over a long trail run! I changed socks and shoes, ate two bites of my cheeseburger, grabbed my trekking poles and off we went. Leg 5 (6.6km) and leg 6(6.4km) offered no real drama. Leg 5 had a few big climbs, but knowing they were the last hills we would have to climb, made the effort seem a little easier. Coming into Softball Valley to transition into the last leg was another great feeling. We had lots of time to finish, over two hours and I was still feeling great. My crew set me up with some snacks and drinks and away Brad and I went (still chasing the husband and wife team!). Brad seemed to be getting stronger as we went and I felt that maybe I was holding him back from a better finish, but he remained with me and we chatted back and forth until we came upon the last climb. I still had energy to jog at this point, so we focused on finishing before 11 hours 10 minutes. Brad was impressive, he flew up the last hill, all the while calling me to follow. I could see my wife and kids, I could hear Dave and Harvie (both Saskatoon running friends) cheering me on at the top of the hill. I pushed hard and crested into the parking lot with a couple minutes to spare. Brad had waited for me to reach the top of the hill, then he took off in a full out sprint, expecting me to follow him to the finish. I jogged the last 100 meters with my kids and crossed the finish line in 11 hours 8 minutes with my kids and Brad. I had finished LSU for a second time. What an accomplishment! What a great race! The course, the volunteers, the weather, my crew, everything came together to create a great race day experience.
Finish line photo

A few nuts and bolts of my race:
I used two pairs of Brooks Cascadias along with CEP compression sleeves and two pairs of Smartwool lite padding crew socks. I used MEC Elan shorts (and was generous with the Bodyglide!)along with two Brainsport running t-shirts, TNF sun visor, Salomon cross-country ski poles and an Innov-8 hydration backpack. I drank roughly 4 liters of Gatorade, a handful of beef jerky, a handful of bacon, 2 GU caramel flavored gels, two bites of McDonald's cheeseburger, a Coke and two coffee cups of instant chicken soup. I diligently took a Saltstick tablet every 45 minutes and ended up eating 4 Tums.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on your finish! Glad you had a good race experience. It was so bloody hot! I'll be back next year too. This was my first & it was not pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great race report!

    ReplyDelete